How can I use/activate authenton#1's Smart-PGP in Kleopatra?Kleopatra is a certificate manager and GUI frontend for GnuPG, and it also supports the use of PGP smart cards. The authenton#1 USB token operates in Kleopatra like a smart card but doesn't require an (additional) smart card reader!Here is a simplified guide for using the authenton#1 (recognized by the computer as a PGP smart card) with Kleopatra.
How can I use/activate authenton#1's Smart-PGP in Kleopatra?
Setting up authenton#1 in Kleopatra:
- Install Kleopatra: If you haven't installed Kleopatra yet, download it from the official GnuPG website and install it.
- Plug the authenton#1 into the computer's USB interface: Ensure the authenton#1 token is correctly connected to your computer.
- Start Kleopatra: Open the Kleopatra application. Once Kleopatra is running, it should automatically recognize and display the authenton#1 as a smart card.
- Manage Certificates: Under the "Smartcards" tab, you can view and manage the details of your authenton#1. If desired, you can also transfer keys to and from the card.
- Transfer Private Keys to the Smart Card: If you've downloaded a private key to your computer and wish to transfer it to your authenton#1, you can do this through Kleopatra. Use the "Move to Smart Card" option or similar.
- PINs and Admin PINs: You'll need the PIN and Admin PIN of the authenton#1 to perform certain actions, e.g., to transfer keys or unlock the card. Keep these safe and never share them. The initial values of the authenton#1 are as follows:
- Admin PIN: 12345678
- User PIN: 123456
- No PUK (a.k.a. resetting code) is defined
- RSA 2048 bits for PGP keys
- NIST P-256 for the secure messaging key
- Use the Key: Once your private key is stored on the authenton#1, Kleopatra (and other GnuPG frontends) will automatically use this key when trying to decrypt or sign messages encrypted or signed with your public key.
- Backup: Remember to keep a backup of your private key in a secure place before storing it solely on the authenton#1.
- Safely Remove authenton#1: Before removing the authenton#1 USB token, make sure no operations are in progress. It's safer to close Kleopatra before removing the authenton#1.
Note: The exact steps and options may vary depending on your version of Kleopatra and the operating system. It's always a good idea to consult the official documentation or help files to ensure you follow the correct steps.
For more information, especially for techies, you can visit the following link: Smart-PGP