PGP: What are the advantages of authenton#1 - for secure storage of PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) encryption and authentication keys?
The authenton#1 functions and behaves exactly like a certified SmartPGP SmartCard. However, the authenton#1 USB Token does not require a separate SmartCard reader or additional software as it can be directly connected to the computer or laptop via a USB-A interface (Plug & Play). For use with a smartphone, authenton#1's Near Field Communication (NFC) interface can be used.
The hardware security of authenton#1 - the so-called Secure Element - has been certified as highly secure by the BSI (Federal Office for Security in Information Technology) with Common Criteria 6+! This Secure Element is "Made in Germany" (Fab in Dresden) and is used, among other things, for the German electronic identity card, many biometric e-passports worldwide, and millions of Master and VISA cards!
An OpenPGP SmartCard - in this case authenton#1 - is a hardware device used to securely store PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) encryption and authentication keys.
With the authenton#1 (as an OpenPGP SmartCard), users can separate key material from their computers or mobile devices, thus providing additional security.
Here are some features and benefits of an authenton#1 as OpenPGP SmartCard:
- Secure key storage: The private keys are stored on the card and never leave the card, which enhances security. This means that even if your computer is compromised, your private keys are safe.
- Encryption and decryption: You can use an OpenPGP SmartCard (authenton#1 USB-A & NFC Token) to encrypt and decrypt messages. The SmartCard performs the cryptographic operations on the card itself, without the key leaving the secure hardware area.
- Digital signatures: You can use the SmartCard (authenton#1 USB-A & NFC Token) to create digital signatures to confirm the authenticity of messages or digitally sign software.
- Authentication: The authenton#1 USB-A & NFC Token can be used for authentication with services that support OpenPGP SmartCards.
- Mobility: Since the authenton#1 USB-A & NFC Token is portable, you can securely transport your keys from one device to another.
- Physical security: As the keys are stored on a physical card (authenton#1 USB-A & NFC Token), they offer additional protection against online hacking attempts.
- Durability: Compared to traditional storage media, the authenton#1 usually last longer and are more robust.
For this also see the authenton#1 Datasheet "MIL-STD-810-H Certification of authenon#1 for harsh environment!
In summary, SmartPGP SmartCards (the authenton#1 USB-A & NFC Token) offer a secure and effective way to store and use cryptographic keys, and provide a level of physical security that goes beyond what software alone can offer. For more technical details and how to configure etc. see https://github.com/github-af/SmartPGP